It can be a daunting task but organizing your home and packing….YES PACKING…because you’re going to
sell your home and move, but it can put thousands more in your pocket!
It’s stressful enough to be selling a home, let alone keeping it in immaculate condition for showing at all
times. It is virtually impossible if you are not organized. Buyers will want to see your home on a
moment’s notice and some preparation in the form of organizing and packing will take heaps of stress
off your back!
1. Start by picking up some boxes I recommend plastic bins. You can buy them for cheap on C-list or buy
new and resell yourself when the move is complete.
2. Section off your home by room. Address one room at a time. Less if necessary.
3. Pack the items you do not use daily but want to keep, right away! If you haven’t touched it in a
month, pack it, the chances are you won’t need it until you are in your new home. Also pack any
personal photos or heirlooms. If it is valuable either financially or emotionally put it away! (This is for
safety, as well as paring down your personal items).
4. Once you have cleared the seldom used items chances are you have come across some things that
you just no longer need. Create a box or a pile for those items. You may want two piles. One to donate
and one to toss. .
5. Touch each item only once. Make a decision and move on.
****Caution be wary of anything that fascinates you enough to sit down and start reading, exploring
further or repairing, set it aside so as not to get distracted.*****
6. Be determined while assessing the items, do you really want to pack it up, move and unpack again?
7. When you’ve made all your decisions, label, number and store by room.
9. Create a master list of the box #s and the location they came from. Don’t keep it in a box!
10. Then it’s time to clean the cracks and crevices that you miss in your day to day cleaning. Such as:
It’s time to start fresh! Soon you will be putting that additional money you made from putting your
fresh, clean home on the market, into your new home! Please add any other tips you may have!
Don’t want to go it alone? Give me a call or email me for referrals to organizers, stagers, or house
cleaners. Sometimes paying someone to allow you to focus on marketing your home is well worth it!